Thursday, August 31, 2006

Peacock Feathers Shawl

This is the reason why no grass was moving in my blog for almost two weeks - I was devoted to finish this shawl for no reason. It's not a gift, not a job, nor to commemorate any occasion. I. JUST. WANT. TO. FINISH. IT. I am obsessive compulsive like that when it comes to knitting. That's also one of the reasons why I only work on one project at a time. Another reason - not keeping a journal.

The pattern for this shawl is all in chart except for the first 12 rows. I know there are many knitters out there who adore charts but I am not one of them. I have a huge problem with them when I was working on Backyard leaves from Scarf Style. Even though I finally got it, I still prefer working with written instructions which I think it requires less thinking.

I made quite a number of mistakes along the way but always correct [not frog] them whenever I got to them. So there are some holes that are smaller than the rest. I am not going to point them out to you but you are welcome to find them if you want. This is where I have a question (or two) for all you readers. Do you frog or correct your mistake? Do you mind having a couple of stitches that are either too loose or tight?

This is the first time I use Zephyr Wool-Silk and I love it knitting with it although I am still trying to get use to knit with lace yarn. One thing about yarn, my bamboo circulars now have reddish tint at the points and the water was slightly pink when I wash the shawl. Is it always the case with this yarn? O, and has anyone tried their DK weight? Check out Sarah's Yarn, her Zephyr Wool-silk is the cheapest I can find.


This picture shows the shawl in Day 2.

This picture shows the true color of the yarn.

Picture taken in the evening, that's why it is a little orangey.
*Pattern: Peacock Feathers Shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting
*Yarn: Jaggerspun Zephyr Wool-Silk in Ruby
*Needles: Cheap Bamboo circular from eBay in 4.0mm (US 5) and 3.5mm crochet hook
*Cost: US$25.95 ($16 for yarn + $9.95 for pattern)

*Cast on: August 16, 2006
*Cast off: August 29, 2006

12 comments:

Pearls Mother said...

Congrats, it's a gorgeous shawl
Enjoy wearing it
Lindy

Kelly said...

Wow! What a beautiful shawl. It will be perfect for fall, too, both for warmth and color. Congrats!

Casey said...

That is gorgeous!! I love the color and the pattern too! I know what you mean about wanting to finish. That's how I feel about the lace scarf I'm knitting. Since I'm not knitting it with anything in mind (maybe I'll keep it, maybe I'll gift it), I'm afraid that if I set it down, I'll never pick it up again.

OLGAJAZZY said...

What a gorgeous shawl, so adorable, i am always so fascinated by the lacework!
Great JOB on yours!

Siow Chin said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, I can just understand why you want to finish it.

Unknown said...

oh wow! your peacock feather shawl turned out gorgeous. And you finished it in less than 2 weeks. that's just amazing! I haven't even make a dent on mine.

iSeL said...

Gasp! It's gorgeous. Love the color and how it wraps all around you. Amazing job.

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. :D

Dorothy said...

Just wonderfull ! Félicitations !

Linda said...

Beautiful shawl! In answer to your question, I hardly ever frog if I can avoid it - I always figure there must be some way to correct any mistake, even if it leaves my stitches a bit wonky. That's part of the charm of handknits, right?

opportunityknits said...

This is so beautiful. I love the ruby colour. I used zephyr in pink and it was colourfast. And I don't frog if I can fix it along the way :)

Michelle said...

Love the shawl! fantasic job!!

Agnes said...

That's very beautiful! And you did it so fast!